Design and Engineering
The SD-1 Minisport is the product of 7 years of design in the Czech Republic. The airframe uses simple, time-tested design principles that maximize strength while minimizing weight. The primary materials used in the construction of the airframe are wood and carbon fiber. Together these create an efficient, lightweight aircraft capable of 60 mpg at an impressive cruise speed of 120 mph.
With the design and materials imported from the Czech Republic, our airplanes are then factory-built to ASTM standards on location in Orem, UT. Each plane then undergoes rigorous flight testing beyond what is required by the FAA and ASTM until the plane is ensured to be 100% safe for many years of flight.
Our planes are powered by the German-engineered Hirth F-23 Engine. This powerplant offers 50 horsepower along with dual ignition and fuel injection for added reliability and performance. Fuel injection has been shown to drastically reduce the possibility of engine icing, which is the leading cause of engine failure in General Aviation. It is designed to handle high elevation and extreme temperatures. The Hirth F-23 has a 1,000 TBO, making its operational engine overhaul costs just $4 an hour. This, combined with the 1.8 gph fuel burn of the engine, makes the airplane’s total hourly operational cost just $12 an hour. The tri-blade propeller is built by the Czech company Sandera. It is composed of carbon fiber and has a ground adjustable pitch.
The instrument panel on SkyCraft’s SD-1 Minisport is fully equipped with top-of-the-line technology. The panel’s 7″ Dynon SkyView Glass Display provides GPS, Synthetic Flight, and Collision Avoidance. Our fuel management system uses electronic sensors that measure fuel flow into the engine, ensuring a precise reading which cannot be achieved with conventional float gauges. A Dynon COM Radio is standard in each aircraft with 2 channel monitoring and GPS-based frequency that automatically dials into the nearest airport’s frequency. An auxiliary port is included so you can listen to your iPod without interfering with radio communications. The tachometer, heat gauges, and power management systems are all equipped with audio warnings whenever operation levels are unsafe. All of the instruments are lighted for nighttime flying.
The safety features on the SD-1 make it reasonable choice for pilots of all experience levels. The fuel injected engine drastically reduces the possibility of engine icing, which is the leading cause of engine failure in general aviation. The dihedral wings provide positive stability control, making for a forgiving flight experience suitable for beginner pilots. Our Dynon system is backed up with a two hour power supply, ensuring the availability of instruments in the event of an electrical failure. An Emergency Locator Transmitter is hard-mounted inside of the plane, and will automatically relay your location along with a distress signal in the event of an accident. The optional ballistic parachute can be pulled anywhere above an altitude of 500 feet, and will safely carry the entire airplane to the ground at a level attitude.
- Hirth F-23 Engine | Dual Ignition, Fuel Injection, 50 HP, 1000 hour TBO.
- Dynon SkyView Avionics | Synthetic Flight, GPS, Collision Avoidance, AOA Meter.
- Removable Wings | 10 minute wing attachment process.
- Integrated Dynon COM Radio | 2 channel monitoring, GPS-based frequency, auxiliary outlet.
- All-Digital Panel | Audible warnings on tachometer and heat gauges when aircraft reaches unsafe operation.
- Fuel and Power Management Systems | Precise fuel measurements with range and time to bingo. Audible warning on Power Management System.
- Emergency Locator Transmitter | Hard-mounted to fuselage.
- Navigation and Landing Lights | Night-VFR Approved.
- Genuine Leather Interior | For supreme comfort.
- Tailwheel or Tri-gear Configurations | Whichever fits your preference.
- Optional Mode S Transponder | Needed for operation in Class B or C airspace.
- Optional Ballistic Parachute | For additional safety.
- Optional Custom Aircraft Trailer | For easy aircraft storage and transportation.